Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2012 8:50 AM
To: Ed Pearl
Subject: Suggestion to post
Pat & Jeff Warner
La Habra Heights, CA 90631
TOMORROW, SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11, 3 pm,
CULVER-PALMS UNITED METHODIST CHURCH on Sepulveda near Culver Blvd.
WHAT: ISLAMOPHOBIA; First in a Series
An interfaith dialogue addressing civil rights violations against Muslims
in our communities & across the nation.
Speakers: Reverend James Lawson
Rabbi Haim Beliak (by video link)
Imam Muhammad Faqih
Moderator: Estee Chandler
WHEN: TOMORROW, SUNDAY, November 11, 3 PM
WHERE: Culver-Palms United Methodist Church, 4464 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City
Off 405 at Culver, south on Sepulveda. Parking behind Church.
ENTRY: $10; $5 students; no one turned away
Refreshment will be served.
FLYER: attached and at http://www.lajewsforpeace.org/images/IslamophobiaFlyer.pdf
We are living in troubled times. Some our neighbors are being scapegoated and demonized by a nation-wide, loosely organized campaign of Islamophobia. This is just the most recent episode of in America of fear of “the other.”
This event brings together a panel of distinguished community leaders to examine cultural, theological, and political perspectives of Islamophobia. The speakers will deconstruct the most persistent myths about Islam and Muslims, and examine the role Islamophobia continues to play in justifying war abroad and political repression at home.
In a way, this event will examine the very fabric of American society that Islamophobia threatens to destroy. This event will start to expose the demagoguery that promotes the irrational fear that is Islamophobia.
Issues that will be discussed include:
- What do we know about the political, spiritual and psychological keys that are played to elicit Islamophobia?
- What is the damage to our constitutional freedoms and to the inclusive society we have strived for?
- What kinds of social healing and cooperation are required in order to move forward?
- Rabbi Haim Dov Beliak is the Executive Director of Beit Polska, the Progressive Jewish Community's umbrella organization in Poland. He served as chaplain and adjunct professor at The Claremont Colleges for 17 years. He is a co-founder ofJewsOnFirst.org, a leading source on the "Christian Right" including their role in fanning Islamophobia in American Society.
- Imam Muhammad Faqih holds a degree in Islamic Studies from the Institute of Islamic and Arabic Sciences in Fairfax, VA. He served as an Imam in Laurel, MD and in San Diego, CA. Currently, Imam Faqih is the resident Imam of the Islamic Institute of Orange County in Anaheim.
- Reverend James Lawson is an architect of the American Civil Rights Movement, whom Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. called "the leading theorist and strategist of nonviolence in the world." He has been a leader and educator in peace & justice issues for over 50 years for innumerable organizations including ICUJP, CLUE, the ACLU, the NAACP, and the World Council of Churches.
This talk is part of the Progressive Conversations on Israel/Palestine and US Foreign Policy in the Middle East, a monthly series presented by LA Jews for Peace, Friends of Sabeel-Los Angeles, and Jewish Voice for Peace-Los Angeles, in association with Levantine Cultural Center. The Islamophobia series is also sponsored by the Islamic Shura Council of Southern California, the United Methodists’ Holy Land Task Force, the Interfaith Communities United for Justice & Peace, and the American Friends Service Committee. KPFK, 90.7 FM, is the media sponsor.
LA Jews for Peace
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2624/5882 - Release Date: 11/08/12